Saturday 5 September 2015

Preparations

I'll be setting off on this trip in just a few more days.  I've reached the stage when being ready to go is beginning to seem a bit of a juggling act.  For example, will I have enough fresh food to last me through till Tuesday morning, or am I going to run out before then?  Or will I find I've over-bought, and be left trying to rehome unused cheese and vegetables with friends on Monday night?

Mostly, I think I've been pretty organised (crossing my fingers!).  I've talked to the bank, I've talked to the doctor; I've planned my itinerary and booked most of my accommodation.  I've coloured my roots (important stuff, this) and am finalising my packing list.  In fact it looks as though I'm going to be hunting for things to do over the weekend, so as not to wind up at a loose end.  I don't want to spend half of Monday sitting around trying not to worry about things that could go wrong, like strikes, or losing my luggage, or another volcanic eruption in Iceland...

The packing list is proving tougher than I expected.  It's the clothing aspect that's giving me pause.  In this cool autumnal weather I'm finding it hard to imagine being hot and wanting to wear short sleeves and light cottons. 

The weather forecast for Greece is pretty warm - 28 to 30 degrees - for the next week or so.  But over the course of the rest of September that could change.  So I need to pack for all weather possibilities.  That magic phrase, the layered look; not very smart, I fear, but practical.  Maybe one day I'll have occasion to travel glamorously; go on a luxury cruise, or something.  For this trip, though, I need to put any vanity aside; sensible footgear, cotton and linen slacks, cotton and linen blouses, a light-weight sweater or two, a mac, a cotton scarf... and a bathing costume, of course.  Plus all the usual stuff like washing kit and hairbrush, camera, binoculars, torch...  And my sketch book, of course.  

No comments:

Post a Comment