Saturday 19 September 2015

Friday 18th September; in transit

Yesterday I left Aigina and travelled by ferry to Poros, the next island south, where I'm staying for the next few days. 

A last look at my view over the rooftops and onwards to the Methana peninsula
I lit a candle at the harbour chapel; it's dedicated to St Nicholas, patron saint of sailors, and is very richly decorated inside

 
Yachts bustling in the marina

And fishing boats were tied up on the quay.  I think this one is called Archangel Michael

Typical busy harbour view, seen from the deck of the ferry Ionis.  My little studio at the Captain's Rooms was just behind the big church in the distance
Sailing away from Aigina on board the Ionis

Passing the little neighbouring island of Angistri



Going past Methana.  This is the view up towards one of the many the crater peaks of the extinct volcano in the middle of the peninsula (last eruption around 230 BC, according to Wikipedia).  The modern town of Methana is on the south-east side but according to Pausanias the ancient city was on the north-west.  Perhaps somewhere near this view?  I don't think I'm going to have the time to find out, as I'd need to do some really serious hiking from Methana town to explore properly.

Arriving at modern Methana, a small town with a spa and volcanic hot springs

Approaching the mouth of the Poros Strait

Sailing into the narrows

First glimpse of Poros Town ahead
And coming in to dock
 
I had some lunch at a café by the quay and then called the owner of the Zontanos Studios, who had emailed to say he'd pick me up when I arrived.  He was busy when I called, so he sent a taxi instead, and five minutes later I was dropped outside a neat white-washed block on the slope above Askeli Bay, surrounded by pine trees.  Cool marble floors, a sunny balcony, air-conditioning, a slightly eccentric bathroom, and a proper kitchenette with the usual fridge, sink, and two electric rings.  And a lovely welcoming touch, a bottle of mineral water chilling for me in the fridge.
 
I had a siesta and then went for a leisurely swim in the bay.  It's wonderfully peaceful here. 
 
I have to admit though, the heat is beginning to get to me slightly after ten days non-stop.   Today I'm going to take things quietly.  I've had a treat in the form of going out for a cooked breakfast (lovely fresh eggs and grilled halloumi!), I've had a brisk morning walk, I've bought some basic groceries for the next few days and I've washed some clothes.  That's quite enough busyness for now.  This afternoon I plan to catch up with some reading, and sort out my photos so I can upload the next batch onto the memory stick.  I'll go down for a swim at about 4 pm, when the real sting has gone out of the sun, and then perhaps walk into town after that.   
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment